Friday, February 4, 2011

“Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.”- G. Randolf


Life is funny.  We are born, grow up with the pains of childhood, tortures of high school, knowledge of college and grow old trying to leave behind a memory in the hopes of not being forgotten about once our final breathe comes.  Along the way, however, we have friends.  In childhood its always the people who like the same color as you, as we grow older its the people who we have the most classes with or plays on the soccer team with you.  When you hit college you maintain contact with only a handful of your friends, keep those you are dearest to you because you know them the greatest.  College is where you start to find your family (you know, the friends you wish were your family).

Thanks to participating in a friends study for school (yay Nathan!) and a thoughtful lesson at church on Wednesday night (yay Adam F.!), I started to think about those who I keep near, who I want to get to know more, who I'm still getting comfortable with, and who I want to reach out to.

I've started to realize that some friendships I've lost and I'm not sure why, others I've realized I not ever have had a real friendship with to begin with, and those that I want to keep, help nurture, and grow looking ahead to the future.  I think I've taken some of my dearest friendships for granted recently, for which I'm awfully sorry.  I need to really evaluate who I'm spending my time with and how valuable our conversation is, because that's what's important as we get older.

"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself-and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to - letting a person be what he really is."- Jim Morrison

1 comment:

  1. Wow, our brains must've been in sync this week! I was thinking very similar thoughts on friends and life! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete