Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Growing Pains

"I feel the need...the need for speed."
- Maverick and Goose, Top Gun

I've realized, and been called out on, having a selfish tendency recently and it's true.  Looking back on some of my actions over the past couple of weeks I have done somethings, whether intentional or not, that have been selfish.  I strive to be a selfless person, to give back as much as I can, but after all I am human.

I got into a huge argument this week with one of my best friends this week over these actions.  He helped me realize that I had taken his relationship for granted (and others as well, which I hadn't examined based on my last blog) and that I had acted selfishly towards those relationships.  There aren't enough words to express how grateful I am for this.  I feel happy because for the last couple of days I've felt lost.  He's one of my closest friends in Tallahassee and the thought of losing him and the friendship that we have frightened me.  I have other friends I can go to, but with the exception of my best friends who live out of town, he's the first person I go to for almost everything (except for guy troubles [usually] because I know he sometimes feels awkward about them whether he tells me or not, I can feel it, lol).  While I have yet to say it in person, and still plan to do so, I want him to know that I'm sorry for my actions, even if he's already forgiven me.

With that being said, tonight when I got home from dinner I walked out to my mailbox and just happened to look up and notice how clear the sky was.  It reminded me of my trips to Mexico, the sky is so vibrant, clear, it's as though you could touch it.  I miss it.  This has been one of the driving factors in my selfishness recently.  A couple of weeks ago I got the dates for the Mexico mission trip I normally take with Club Quest in July...I also found out that my brother moved up his wedding date to the same week.  While this was done for perfectly legitimate reasons, I am still slightly upset that I don't get my week vacation doing something I love.  Don't get me wrong, I love my brother and soon to be sister-in-law, but it's the one true vacation I get every year.  It was just disappointing.  The sad thing is, this is what seems to have been the biggest influence in my poor and selfish thinking patterns the past couple of weeks.

I want you guys to know that I've working on this.  I don't like being selfish.  I always try to do my best, to be the friend who's always there, and to do things that I know will please others before myself.  I know, this makes me a pushover (which all my friends agree with), but it's who I am and its difficult for me to overcome because I hate the selfish feeling I get when I don't help or please others.

Here's to hoping things will change for the better, that I will slow my need for speed down, to relax in the moment and not focus on the things that I want.  To not need the rush that comes with selfishness and to be true to myself and my friends.

Also, I'm hoping to take a camping trip soon, just relax in nature and enjoy it's beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Lynn...
    We havent really ever been close. At some times we may bot of liked each other for some reason or another. I do know though that you are far from selfless. You have been raised by a great mom and a great dad. I remember alot of things from high school. The most I remember is your willingness to help others. I remember when you took my brothers in as your own brothers. Though I never told you or your parents, that brought me great joy. Joy in a time of deep sorrow. Lynn we are all human and I dont know what happened between you and your friend, but just remember you deserve to be selfless from time to time lol. We are all human. Unfortunate I wait so long to tell you thanks, but Thank You lynn. Matthew:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe he means that you ARE selfless and that deserve to be SELFISH sometimes. Lynn, thank you for being a beautiful person inside and out. You're a great friend and a positive influence. You're a loyal confidant and an honest advisor. No one, not even God, will penalize you for taking some time for yourself. After feeding the thousands with bread and fish, Christ's miracles led the people to demand him be crowned king. Jesus didn't want to be king and knew it wasn't for the best. If He had always done what people wanted Him to do there would have been plenty more unworthy rich and healed. The point is, just like this weekend, God urged me to have some alone time with him. I needed to experience my path refreshed! Never doubt that God has a plan. Those selfish urges we get are no doubt temptations from the devil.... But every once in a while, God is urging you to heal yourself before you can be a shepherd for His kingdom. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete