Saturday, November 27, 2010

Anger and Pain


There is too much to try and type up for today's quote so I found the video on YouTube.

I just finished watching what I consider to be my favorite episode of The West Wing (Season 2, Episode 22).  The storyline for this episode surrounds the President, Jed Bartlet (Martin Sheen), dealing with the death of his secretary Mrs. Landingham, his choice to go public about his battle with Multiple Sclerosis, and whether or not he will run for re-election.  In the clip, you see all of the troubles Pres. Bartlet has dealt with over the course of the season come out, in anger, towards God.  How could he let all of these things happen to Pres. Bartlet, was his work not good enough to please God?  It's obvious, however, that he is just venting his pain from the lose of a close friend, but there is still a lot behind this outburst.

This episode always makes me consider how I talk to God.  Do I give everything to him in tough times?  Or do I just give him bits and pieces while the rest resonate in my mind and heart until an outburst of anger towards him occurs?  How many people let this happen on the day to day basis?   We are taught in church to give everything to the Lord, he will provide what is needed so that we can make it through our hardships.  We are taught to seek council, to gather advice, and not to worry, but people constantly ignore this.  We think that we're strong enough to handle everything on our own, when it's overwhelming we complain that God doesn't seem to care to help us, and we just grow angrier.

For myself I know that when I hold stuff back from God it's because I feel that my problems, no matter how big they are, are smaller than everyone else's.  I don't want to bother people, or God, with my issues because I'm suppose to be the strong one, I always seem to have been (at least for my family), so I don't ever want to appear as weak.  Now I'm not saying that I've gotten angry enough to denounce God (in Latin, or in general), but I have felt and thought hurtful things towards him over some of the most petty issues.  In the end His grace and love has always shown through and I've come to realize how important it is to give everything to God.

This is something that people are struggling with everyday.  We just need to learn when to let it go, to forgive ourselves, our enemies, and God for the pain and suffering that we go through.    We go though hard times for a reason, to help us grow and overcome our own problems and to help prepare us, not only for our future challenges, but to help guide those who face the same things we have previously and struggle.  Life's little lessons (no matter how much time it takes to overcome) are what make us and strengthen our relationships with each other and with God.

I know today's post is kind of short and not clearly typed up, but I promise to get better at this.  Tomorrow (or later today, depending on how you look at it) is the Florida State vs Florida game, we'll be playing for the Florida Cup, which FSU apparently has never won (thank you Justin for that piece of information).  I'll probably end up posting some information on that tomorrow or Sunday depending on how I feel after the game.  Go Noles!

No comments:

Post a Comment