Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"How is it that music can, without words, evoke our laughter, our tears, our highest aspiration?" - Jane Swan

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
- Aldous Huxley, Music At Night



Music, the sounds of life, whether instrumental, a cappella, or just listening to the joys of nature. It's all around us.  


While at work recently I noticed how important music was.  I was sitting in my cubicle listening to the sounds of calculators and customer service calls when I put my headphones in and turned on my iPod (as it was a day where I worked on a special project instead of answering calls).  It was relaxing, I was in my own little world with John Mayer, Flogging Molly, Norah Jones and 25gb of other artists.  I listened to songs of love, hate, pain and fear, only to realize how true many of the songs were.


The artists make you feel the words, the emotions, the history that led to what they were expressing (personal opinion: Eminem is one of the best with this concept).  Even with classical music, you can hear the composer tell a story under this same idea.  Every measure, beat, note, rest, instrument, lyric, voice tells is just a piece of a story, one that every person goes through.


Music connects us, not just locally or nationally, but globally too.  It's a way for us to relate to each other when we don't know how else to communicate.


I saw the video below on my friend, Zak's, Facebook page a couple of months ago and I think it helps explain the thoughts behind this post.  


No comments:

Post a Comment